One of the founders of SUTRA, Ashley Strommen knows a thing or two about the necessities of a good liver detox. She suffered from heavy metal poisoning due to a chronic disease, and had to utilize all kinds of crazy cleansing tactics to eliminate the poison from her body.
Below Ashley gives SUTRA the safest ways to detox the liver, leading to increased energy and reduced brain fog.
Why You Need to Detox Your Liver
By Ashley Strommen, SUTRA Marketing
The reality is that over time our livers can become overwhelmed by exposure to toxins all around us. This can come from the food and drinks we ingest, toxins in the air, and even from shampoo and cleaning supplies we use on a daily basis.
The good news is our livers kick major butt and are all-stars at detoxifying and we have the ability to complete a liver cleanse that can lead to immediate health benefits like increased energy, lowered bloat and tummy issues, and better concentration.
SUTRA's 6 Step Liver Cleanse
- Remove Crap Foods From Your Diet - The easiest way to give your liver a rest is to lay off the processed foods for a week. I'm talking nitrates from lunch meats, the refined sugar in sweets, and hydrogenated oils from fried foods. If it were up to me the general population wouldn't be eating any of these items at any time (they would simple come hang with me and I'd cook for them 24/7, which I'd be happy to do). But even one week can give your body the ability to reset. Instead focus on roasted veggies, fresh fruit, grilled meats, and gluten free grains like quinoa. I'm telling you, your one week away from crap foods may convert you to a health nut like me!
- Lack of Potassium is Nobodies Friend - Less than 2% of Americans get the recommended amount of potassium a day. The moment I read that statistic I fell off my chair. No joke, I landed on the floor in horror. This shows you I may be a bit of a drama queen... deal with it. But this really is a scary thing considering how important potassium is in your diet and how dang excellent it is at detoxing your liver. Load up on sweet potatoes, homemade tomato sauces, spinach, beans, and of course the beautiful and simple banana!
- Turmeric Is King - I have a confession to make. I am a turmeric advocate to the point I talk about it to strangers in bars, shout about it on top of mountains, and may or may not mumble about it in my sleep (my boyfriend has stated it has happened a few times). But the reality is turmeric helps rejuvenate liver cells that break down bad compounds which helps treat digestive issues and is a superhero for liver detoxification. My obvious suggestion is to sip on some SUTRA Gold and taste the delicious chai flavors at least once, if not twice a day.
- Drinking Raw Juice Because It's Not Just a Fad - I am an avid juicer, as in prepping and juicing fruits and vegetables daily, but not everyone has the time nor desire to do that. But if you were to incorporate a few fresh organic juices into your diet you'd be doing your liver a world of good. When you juice produce, they become easier to digest and more readily available for absorption. Remember to stick to an 80% veggie and 20% fruit ratio to keep the sugar content down. I'd recommend either making or purchasing a juice rich with cucumber, kale, lemon, green apple, turmeric, and parsley - some of the most delicious and detoxifying ingredients.
- Eat Liver or Drink Bone Broth - As a vegetarian myself it's hard for me to put this on my list of recommendations, but just because I choose not to eat meat for personal reasons, doesn't mean there aren't fantastic health benefits from it. Therefore for my meat eating friends, I recommend either eating liver, which is one of the most nutrient-dense foods we can eat, taking liver pills, or drinking bone broth (of which my favorite company to buy from is Kettle and Fire - don't bother with anyone else, they are by far the best).
- Supplements For Added Support - Sometimes I get some health conscious individuals who come to me and say, "Ashley, I'm already doing all of that, what else you got for me?" In that case my fellow health obsessed clan, I recommend to you some fantastico supplements. Milk Thistle is an awesome heavy metal and environmental cleanser (not to mention it helps save you from hangover hell). Dandelion Root is a natural diuretic so it allows your liver to get rid of toxins quicker. And I know I already gushed about Turmeric, but hot damn it is a fantastic anti-inflammatory agent, so you can pop some of those into your routine.
Implement one or all of my liver cleanse tips and you will be on the road to feeling better. Your liver will thank you, your body will thank you, and if I see you on the street, I'm going to thank you too!