YES! And probably an even bigger one than you’d think.
Before the multitudes of packaged foods were made readily available to us, sugar was a relatively small portion of the human diet. The sugar that was consumed mostly came from fruits and starches, which is way better than the added and modified crap that we see today.
High Inflammation and Chronic disease is a scary thing. Check out some of the shocking statistics below:
- 45% of the population has at least one chronic disease
- These are often preventable through early detection, and manageable through diet (like reducing or eliminating added sugar), exercise, mindset, and treatment
- Chronic disease is responsible for 7 out of every 10 deaths in the US
- Chronic disease makes up 81% of hospital admissions, 91% prescriptions filled, and 76% of all physician visits
- The CDC estimates eliminating three risk factors (poor diet, inactivity, and smoking) would prevent 80% of heart disease, 80% type 2 diabetes, and 40% of cancer.
When inflammation is present in the body, it can mean that an early stage of a disease is at hand, and action needs to be taken immediately in order to reduce inflammation. One of the most effective ways to do this?
A sugar free or low-sugar diet.
The benefits of eating sugar-free or low-sugar diets don’t just stop at reduced inflammation, either; Nixing the sugar can also aid in weight loss, reduce the risks of illness and allergies, prevent the dreaded “afternoon slump”, and actually get rid of sweet cravings
Since added sugars are hiding in so many different foods, the transition to a low-sugar or sugar free diet can result in some not-so-pleasant side effects
, such as headaches, fatigue, cramps, and nausea. In fact, some animal studies show
that sugar is eight times as addictive as cocaine. So it’s no wonder your body goes through withdrawal symptoms without it.
It can be difficult to stay on track with your new diet because of these side effects, but persevere, because you will feel so much better. For added motivation, give the documentary Sugar Coated a watch
. The research results of the dangers and prevalence of sugar are sure to shock you, and will definitely help you ditch the sweet stuff and begin in a sugar detox.